×
Thursday, February 25, 2021

Norwall PowerSystems: 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season—Early Forecasts Above Average

Last updated Sunday, February 14, 2021 00:34 ET , Source: Norwall PowerSystems

Leading Forecasters: 2021 Another Above Average Hurricane Season

Lake Havasu City, United States, 02/14/2021 / SubmitMyPR /

Early discussions by leading forecasters at Colorado State University and Tropical Storm Risk point to 2021 as another hurricane season with above average activity for the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico. The December discussions following the November 30 end of the 2020 season revealed a 50 percent or higher chance for up to 16 named storms.

The National Hurricane Center assigns names when tropical cyclones develop into tropical storms or hurricanes.

Last year, early discussions indicated a slightly above average season. By the end of August, the estimates had doubled. The 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season produced 31 tropical cyclones, 30 named storms, 13 hurricanes, and six major hurricanes. The season broke records from Tropical Storm Arthur in May to Category 5 Major Hurricane Iota in November. Twelve storms made landfall on the continental USA, breaking the previous record of nine. Twenty-eight storms beginning with Cristobal set records for the earliest numbered storm.

The 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season Forecast includes a 50-60 percent chance of a season with up to 16 named storms, 7 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. A cumulative 20 percent chance for a below average season, and another 20 percent chance for an average season.

Another active hurricane season in 2021 does not bode well for states and countries recovering from last year’s landfalling hurricanes and tropical storms.

This year’s season coincides with the global COVID-19 pandemic. Last year, the pandemic complicated relief efforts and emergency shelters. Social distancing requirements lowered capacity at many shelters. Some residents found themselves turned away at the door.

Hurricanes and tropical storms bring dangerous hazards. Storm surge and flooding account for more property damage and lives lost than extreme wind. Tropical cyclones wreak destruction on local power grids and leave homes and businesses without power for days or weeks.

Hurricane Disaster Preparedness saves lives and reduces damage. The National Weather Service sponsors Hurricane Preparedness Week to encourage businesses and residents to prepare before the season. Following Hurricane Irene in 2011, the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommended homeowners consider a portable generator for emergency power.

About Norwall PowerSystems

Norwall PowerSystems (https://www.norwall.com/) specializes in the sale of generators, including standby generator systems and portable generators. Now in business over 24 years, Norwall has shipped a quarter-million generators.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 928-453-4494


Disclaimer: The information does not constitute advice or an offer to buy. Any purchase made from this story is made at your own risk. Consult an expert advisor/health professional before any such purchase. Any purchase made from this link is subject to the final terms and conditions of the website's selling. The content publisher and its distribution partners do not take any responsibility directly or indirectly.  If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the company this news is about.