New York City electric scooter battery fire wrongful death - kills 8-year-old Analysis by Manhattan Scooter Death Lawyer Glenn A. Herman
New York City-based scooter death and injury lawyer, Glenn A. Herman,writes:
"An electric scooter battery sparked a fire that killed an 8-year-old girl in New York City, authorities said. The death of Stephanie Villa Torres on Saturday was at least the third time in a little over a year that a fatal fire in the city has been linked to a scooter battery." CBS News
New York City electric scooter battery Kills 8-year-old - Analysis by NYC Scooter Death Lawyer Glenn A. Herman
"Tragically, another child was killed from a fire caused by a lithium battery. This time it was from an electric scooter. Electric scooter and electric bike batteries have been responsible for several injuries and deaths recently in New York City. Just last month, a woman and a 5 year old girl were killed by a fire that was blamed on an electric scooter battery. Glenn A. Herman, Esq. NYC electric scooter wrongful death lawyer.
The following tips from the New York City Fire Department will help to keep us safe:
Purchase and use devices that are certified by a qualified testing laboratory.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and storage.
Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or near a couch.
Always use the manufacturer’s cord and power adapter made specifically for the device.
Do not use aftermarket batteries.
Keep batteries and devices at room temperature. Do not place them in direct sunlight.
Store batteries away from anything flammable.
If a battery overheats or you notice an odor, a change in shape or color, leaking, or odd noises, stop using it immediately.
If the battery reacts in an alarming way, and it is safe to do so, move the device away from anything that can catch fire and call 911.
Do not leave e-bikes unattended while they’re charging, and don’t leave them charging overnight.
Do not block your primary way into and out of the building with an e-bike.
Do not leave an e-bike in a child’s room.
The Fire Department also warns that when you need to dispose of a used rechargeable or lithium-ion battery, it’s illegal in New York City to throw them out with the regular trash or recycling. Old batteries should be taken to a facility that recycles batteries. The number of e-bikes that are being used in The City are increasing daily, especially with the many delivery services we have. Following the above tips can prevent fires that can result in serious injuries and death.
About Glenn A. Herman, Esq. Scooter Injury & Wrongful Death Lawyer
Glenn A. Herman, Esq. is a personal injury lawyer in New York City who has represented people injured in all types of accidents for over 35 years. He has successfully represented many people who have been injured in e-bike and electric scooter accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, contact us.
Glenn A. Herman, Esq.
Herman & Herman, P.C. | Attorneys at Law
589 8th Avenue, 21st Floor | New York, NY 10018
T: (212) 695-1900
F: (212) 916-1599
This content is published on behalf of the above source. Please contact them directly for any concern related to the above.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements describe future expectations, plans, results, or strategies (including product offerings, regulatory plans and business plans) and may change without notice. You are cautioned that such statements are subject to a multitude of risks and uncertainties that could cause future circumstances, events, or results to differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements, including the risks that actual results may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements.