The silicon carbide market is expected to experience steady growth at a compounded annual rate of 7.5% throughout the forecast period. During this period, it is projected that the silicon carbide market will attain a total value of approximately US$ 5.8 billion by the year 2032 improving from the valuation of US$ 2.8 billion in 2022.
Request a Sample Copy of the Silicon Carbide Market Report
Another name for silicon carbide is carborundum. Silicon carbide is a semiconductor that helps the system in reducing the size and power loss by 50%, so silicon carbide is expected to replace other silicon-based semiconductors and transistors on the market.
Various factors such as the surge in demand for motor drives, compact system size, and the increase in utility of silicon carbide in the cellular base station and radio frequency devices are some factors that are expected to be driving the growth of the silicon carbide market during the forecast period.
Silicon Carbide Market: Drivers and Limitations
- Various factors such as the increase in demand for motor drives, compact system size and the increase in the use of silicon carbide in cellular base station and radio frequency devices are some of the factors driving the growth of the silicon carbide market during the forecast period.
- Silicon carbide reduces power system loss by 50% due to increased adoption of compact size semiconductors in various applications such as Industrial Motor Driver, Power Supply and Inverter, Lighting Control and others.
- On the other hand, the price of silicon carbide ranges from about $800 to $2,000 per ton, which is very high compared to other alternatives available in the market.
- Therefore, the high cost of silicon carbide is the most important factor hindering the growth of the market. In addition, material defects and packaging related issues are the other challenge faced by vendors associated with the silicon carbide market.
Global Silicon Carbide Market: Regional Trend
- Asia Pacific holds the largest market for cellular base station and radio frequency devices, and as such, the Asia Pacific region takes the largest market share in terms of revenue for the silicon carbide market.
- It is also expected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. It also becomes the main attraction for investors to invest in the Asia Pacific region as it supports government FDI for investments in countries like India and China.
- In addition to the above, in China, the continued development of electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging is expected to provide new avenues for the opportunistic growth of the silicon carbide market in the coming years.
Key Developments in the Global Silicon Carbide Market
- A multinational manufacturer of semiconductor wafers named SK Siltron said in March 2020 that it had successfully acquired DuPont’s Silicon Carbide Wafer division for which the deal was finalized on February 29, 2020.
- A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was inked in January 2020 between SK Siltron and Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology to provide parallel computing support for the research and development of single crystal growth technology.
Leading Key Companies:
- Pilegrowth Tech S.R.L
- Ascatron AB
- United Silicon Carbide, Inc.
- Basic 3C, Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation
- Bruckewell Technology Corporation
- Tankeblue Semiconductor Co. Ltd.
- Central Semiconductor Corporation
- Stmicroelectronics N.V.
- Cree Inc. (Wolfspeed)
- DOW Corning Corporation
- Sanken Electric Co., Ltd.
- Fuji Electric Co., Ltd.
- Saint-Gobain Silicon Carbide
- General Electric, Rohm Semiconductor
- Genesic Semiconductor Inc.
- Global Power Technologies Group
- Renesas Electronics Corporation
- Graphensic AB
- On Semiconductor, Infineon Technologies AG
- Norstel AB
- Microsemi Corporation
- Monolith Semiconductor Inc.
Gain Immediate Access to Detailed Market Insights: Purchase Now to Uncover Segment-specific Information and More
Silicon Carbide Market Segmentation
By Product Type
- Bare Die
- Biscrete Devices
By Wafer Size
- 2 Inches
- 4 Inches
- More than 6-inches
- Electronic Combat System
- RF Device and Cellular Base Station
- Solar and Wind Energy
- Power Grid Device
- Flame Detector
- Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS)
- EV Charging
- EV Motor Drive
- High-Voltage, Direct Current (HVDC)
- Industrial Motor Drive
- Power Supply and Inverter
- Lighting Control
By End User
- Power Electronics
- Energy & Power
- Renewable Power Generation
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
About the Author
Sudip Saha is the managing director and co-founder at Future Market Insights, an award-winning market research and consulting firm. Sudip is committed to shaping the market research industry with credible solutions and constantly makes a buzz in the media with his thought leadership. His vast experience in market research and project management across verticals in APAC, EMEA, and the Americas reflects his growth-oriented approach to clients.
He is a strong believer and proponent of innovation-based solutions, emphasizing customized solutions to meet one client’s requirements at a time. His foresightedness and visionary approach recently got him recognized as the ‘Global Icon in Business Consulting’ at the ET Inspiring Leaders Awards 2022.
Have a Look at the Related Reports of the Technology Domain:
Silicon Photonics Market Size– The global silicon photonics market is projected to grow at a stupendous CAGR of over 26.0% between 2022 and 2032, totaling a valuation of over US$ 6 Billion by 2032.
Semiconductor Assembly And Testing Services Market Share– The semiconductor assembly and testing services market revenue totaled ~US$ 32.6 Billion in 2021. The overall semiconductor assembly and testing services market is projected to reach ~US$ 52.1 Billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 6.1% for 2022 – 2029.
Semiconductors in Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Power Systems Market Growth– The semiconductors in solar photovoltaic (PV) power systems market size is projected to grow at a CAGR of 20% from 2022 to 2032, from a value of US$ 222.44 Bn in 2022 to US$ 1,377.27 Bn by 2032.
About Future Market Insights (FMI):
Future Market Insights, Inc. (ESOMAR certified, recipient of the Stevie Award, and a member of the Greater New York Chamber of Commerce) offers profound insights into the driving factors that are boosting demand in the market. FMI stands as the leading global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, consulting, and events for the Packaging, Food and Beverage, Consumer Technology, Healthcare, Industrial, and Chemicals markets. With a vast team of over 5000 analysts worldwide, FMI provides global, regional, and local expertise on diverse domains and industry trends across more than 110 countries.
Future Market Insights Inc.
Christiana Corporate, 200 Continental Drive,
Suite 401, Newark, Delaware – 19713, USA